Marriage License Requirements
Circuit Court Clerk
813 Lincolnway Suite 105
La Porte, IN 46350
Phone (LP): 219-326-6808
Phone (MC): 219-874-5611 Ext. 2250
Office staff extension: 2088
Monday - Friday
8:00 AM to 4:00 PM
LAPORTE COUNTY, INDIANA
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
- Both applicants must be present at the time of application with a valid driver's license or a state identification card for proof of residency, identity, and date of birth.
- If either applicant has been divorced within six months prior to application, that applicant must have a certified copy of the divorce decree, signed and dated, with a judge's signature.
- If at least one of the applicants is a resident of La Porte County, the fee is $25.00, payable in cash only.
- If both applicants are out-of-state residents, the fee is $65.00, payable in cash only. Applicants must be married in La Porte County, Indiana if they are both out-of-state residents.
- If both applicants are Indiana residents, but live outside of La Porte County, they must apply in the county in which they live.
- Once the license is obtained, Indiana residents may be married anywhere in the state. The records will be recorded in the county in which application was made.
- If the couple is being married in another state, applicants must follow that state's requirements.
- License is valid for 60 days, and can be used the same day of application. An appointment is needed to be married by the Clerk of the Courts.
- Judges are available by appointment only. The Circuit Court Clerk will marry on weekends and evenings by appointment only. No fee is required.
IF APPLICANT IS UNDER 18 YEARS OF AGE
- All above requirements apply
- Both parents of under age applicants must be present, with their valid driver's license or state identification card.
- The under age applicant must have a certified copy of their birth certificate
- If the under age applicant is not an Indiana resident, he or she cannot apply in Indiana
APPLY FOR A MARRIAGE LICENSE
To be married in the State of Indiana, a couple must have a marriage license. To apply for a marriage license in Indiana, both you and your future spouse must appear in person at the Clerk's Office in an Indiana county where one of you resides, or for non-residents in the Indiana county where the marriage will be solemnized.