Hudson Township is one of twenty-one townships in La Porte County, Indiana. As of the 2000 Census, its population was 1,909.
Hudson Township is located on the north-eastern border of La Porte County – Michigan State Line to the north, Kankakee Township to the west, Wills Township to the south, and St. Joseph County line to the east. Hudson Township has no official town within its boundaries, although there is the distinct community of Hudson Lake named for the township’s most popular attraction, Hudson Lake. The town of New Carlisle is the closest community to the east. The area is served by the NICTD rail line to South Bend Airport and Chicago to the west.
This area is great for fishing, nature watching, hunting, or just getting away.
Hudson Township provides the home field for the New Carlisle Babe Ruth Softball team.
Hudson Township Cemetery is the resting place of some of the area’s earliest settlers, and preservation work is being conducted there by the La Porte County Cemetery Preservation Commission.
The Trustee of Hudson Township is Thomas M. Euler.
Township Trustees are charged with the responsibility of providing fire protection and ambulance service for the areas of the township not incorporated into a city or town. Hudson Township contracts for these services provided by the New Carlisle Fire Department and New Carlisle Emergency Medical Services. For Emergencies, dial 9-1-1.
Township Trustee provides assistance to eligible applicants for their basic living needs – rent, utilities, food, medical. Financial eligibility is determined by comparing assets and expenditures. If an applicant for Township Assistance has been determined eligible, the Trustee has the authority to provide it in the most economical and practical manner. This type of assistance is done by appointment only, applicants may call 219-363-3490.
The Trustee also serves as notary free of charge to township residents. Be sure to bring proper identification when visiting the office for notary service.
Hudson Township was established in May, 1836, and is the smallest township in the county, containing only twelve sections and three half sections – adjoining the State of Michigan on the north, and St. Joseph County on the east, Kankakee Township on the west, and Wills Township on the south. Originally the area was inhabited by various Indian tribes including the Pottawatomies, Menominees, Chippewas, and Ottowas, who were friendly toward the early white settlers of Hudson. As early as 1833 a village known at that time as Lakeport, was established but was later changed to Hudson. This place was once the rival of La Porte for the trade of the north part of the county. A school house was established, a blacksmith shop, a steam sawmill, tavern and post office. Expansion was halted by the recessions of 1837, but the people were not disheartened. The railroad planned to develop routes in the area and Hudson began preparations to become a hub, however, it was not to be and the rail lines adjacent to Hudson have become non-stop.
The Hudson Hotel was built adjacent to the South Shore Rail Line and Hudson Lake was a destination during the 1920’s, with the big bands playing at the Blue Lantern Casino, located near the train stop at Chicago Trail. Today, while the hotel is no longer and the property has become an RV Campground and Resort, the building housing the casino is still used for a restaurant – Bobbie’s Lakeside Grill – and the Blue Lantern has been renovated to accommodate banquets and events.