3/18/2020 Update from Commissioner, Dr. Kora:
Franciscan Health in Michigan City has received test kits on March 18th to begin COVID-19 testing. They have a limited number of tests and are on reserve for those of high risk and have severe symptoms. To take the test, a person must call 219-877-1474 for screening questions. They will then need a doctor’s order to take the test as well.
These tests are not being done in doctor’s offices to prevent the spread of the disease. Each test takes 4-5 days to receive results.
La Porte Hospital has not received tests yet. Please call the La Porte hotline below if you have questions for the hospital and steps you should take.
La Porte Hospital Hotline: 833-576-3627
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Keep tissues near your work station. Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using household cleaning spray or disinfecting wipe